Peelable Solder Mask
For the partial masking of PCBs as protection from direct contact with solder or as protection in electroplating processes, simple/high-definition application by screen printing, very high elasticity and tear resistance, easy to remove before and/or after the soldering process
Peelable Solder Mask PCB is the printed circuit board with peelable solder mask (a temporary solder mask), protected for some area during surface finishing or assembly process. That’s to say, sometimes printed circuit boards require protection of selected board areas during the Surface Finish or Assembly Process to keep solder from flowing onto contacts, terminals and plated through holes (PTH).
Peelable Solder Mask (also known as strippable mask or blue-mask) are applied by screen-printing, act as in-process protection and are removed either after processing at the PCB manufacturer or at the assembler.
Peelable Solder Masks, provide such protection in soldering processes like wave soldering, reflow soldering or hot-air solder leveling (HASL). Reliable, time-saving and cost-saving in their application, they have long surpassed manual masking with heat-resistant tapes.
Peelable mask, also as strippable mask or blue-mask is applied to the already solder mask PCB to protect circuit by screen printing. Peelable Solder Masks, provide such protection in soldering processes like wave soldering, reflow soldering or hot-air solder leveling (HASL).
When these processes are over and the soldermask is no more needed, then it can be mechanically removed or “peeled-off” by hand. The area it used to protect is exposed for the final assembly process. Pealable mask is not a replacement for standard solder resist.
The 10 Advantages of peelable solder mask:
1. Reliable, time & cost saving compared to taping
2. Protection of complex structures and shapes by screen-printing
3. Protection of selected areas on PCB during finishing or assembly processes
4. Easily removes and leaves no residue
5. Stable to high temperature (288°C)
6. Protection (tenting) of PTH
7. Overprinting of carbon inks
8. Resistance in plating processes (e.g. electroless/electrolytic Copper or Tin plating)
9. Protection during Flex or Flex-Rigid processing
10. Highest temperature acceptance and good peel-ability