The Ft1 BGA or simply the BGA 413 is an impeccable CPU socket that hit the market back in 2011. The CPU socket, just as the name implies, utilizes a Ball Grid Array (BGA) to function. Due to its efficiency, the Ft1 BGA has a lot of applications in the tech world. However, are these the only features that make up the Ft1 BGA? Does it bear more features and properties that make it stand out? And if so, is it worth working with?
About Ft1 BGA
Ft1 BGA is a CPU package built for AMD low power microprocessor. The CPU socket package targets:
- “Thin” client market
- The tablet and embedded market
The packages are successors of the pretty popular ASB2 packages. Ft1 BGA packages have two counterparts in the mainstream desktop and mobile market. Its counterparts are the FM1 Socket and the FS1 Socket.
Ft1 BGAs were utilized to create the Brazos AMD platform for super-thin notebooks. Though they were super thin, these notebooks had impeccable performance and superheat dissipation.
The Ft1 BGA utilizes modern-day Ball Grid Array technology, which attaches chipsets onto PCBs via tiny solder balls. The solder balls are super slim, which means that the connection paths are also technically small. Due to these tiny signal propagation paths, chipsets that utilize this technology ultimately have better performance. They are also super-efficient when you compare them with other chipsets.
BGA technology also lets manufacturers utilize the entire bottom part of a chip to make connections instead of using the edges. Since the bottom part is large, this accounts for more links. Hence chips that utilize BGA tech ultimately support high-density connections.
BGAs are pretty durable. That is because these packages utilize small solder balls embedded on a chip. The solder balls are tiny and well-positioned, unlike other packages that use pins that could break under minimal pressure. You can hence transport these chips easily with little to no worries at all.
FT1 BGA benefits of utilizing Ball Grid Technology
BGA, without a doubt, improves the efficiency and the durability of the Ft1 BGA. It also helps make the Ft1 BGA tiny, which is essential in the modern world. You can hence utilize these sockets to develop small gadgets.
The Ft1 BGA has a high lead count, which means you can make multiple connections using these sockets. They also have low inductance, which ultimately lowers their signal degradation. That makes them super-efficient for modern-day tech.
Ft1 BGA is super easy to mount onto a circuit board. All you need to do is:
- Ensure that the solder balls have a controlled solder amount
- Mount the Ft1 BGA onto a PCB
- Move on to the soldering process
- Here ensure you utilize sufficient temperature to melt the solder that is underneath the Ft1 BGA.
- Once the solder melts, it holds the Ft1 BGA in position using surface tension; hence alignment should be the least of your worries.
- Let the solder cool off and solidify. Once this happens, the Ft1 BGA will be held in place permanently. And that’s it!
Measures to take
Mounting a Ft1 BGA onto a circuit board is that easy. However, you have to be extra careful when dealing with the following:
- Temperature – when mounting Ft1 BGA onto a Circuit, you have to choose the correct temperature range carefully. Miscalculating the temperature might ruin your package completely or even harm the circuit board.
Note that the solder underneath the Ft1 BGA should not melt entirely into liquid form. Instead, it should take a semi-liquid form, making it easier to separate the solder balls beneath the package. If this solder ball connects, then the results could be catastrophic.
- Solder alloy – Another factor to consider is the solder alloy. Some solder alloys have a pretty low boiling point. That means that when working with these alloys, you will have to utilize lower temperatures. On the other hand, some alloys have a high boiling point. Therefore, you have to choose the solder alloy carefully.
Ft1 BGA packages are portable, which means that you can easily attach these packages to multiple circuit boards. They are also robust due to the utilization of BGA solder balls, making them pretty durable.
Ft1 BGA packages have low thermal resistance, which helps them dissipate heat rapidly. Thus overheating does not affect these incredible sockets.
Features that set the Ft1 BGA apart
Ft1 BGAs have the following specs, which make them unique and worth trying out:
- Lidless BGA package – the Ft1 BGA is a lidless BGA package that features the following dimensions 19.0 mm by 19.0 mm by 1.92 mm
- It bears 413 contacts and a multi-pitch that is between 0.8 mm – 1.0 mm
- It utilizes organic substrates, and it has die flip-chip attachments
- 1 x 64 bit SDRAM and DDR3 interface
- Ft1 BGA packages a raw bandwidth that hits up to 667 MHz
- They also feature a DIMMs of 2 and a JEDEC of 1.35 V and 1.5 V
- Ft1 BGAs do not support EGC
Disadvantages of working with Ft1 BGA packages
Though Ft1 BGA packages are super-efficient, they still bear some drawbacks, which include:
- Sensitivity to humidity – Ft1 BGA is pretty sensitive to moisture. That means that, when working with these packages in humid environments, their efficiency might go down a little.
- Proneness to flexure stress – Ft1 BGA flexure capabilities pose some reliability concerns. Due to their low flexure capabilities, these packages are more prone to flexure damage stress.
- Inspection difficulties – Ft1 BGA packages attach to a PCB via their bottom part. Due to this connection, it becomes challenging to access and inspect the chip-to-board links. You hence have to utilize special skills and equipment to undertake these tasks.
Ft1 BGA packages are indeed a phenomenon. Since their debut in the tech market, they have shown excellent efficiency and durability, making them pretty popular. What’s more, these packages utilize BGA or Ball Grid Array as their default surface mount option. BGA provides multiple advantages, which include high-speed performance, an increase in reliability, and better power utilization. They also offer better heat dissipation making “overheating a no-worries” factor. All these factors make the Ft1 BGA exceptional. Hence, if you are looking to up your chipsets game, you should try out these sockets. They never disappoint.