Arlon has continued to deliver high-performance laminates for various PCB applications. Laminate and prepreg are core materials for PCB fabrication. However, it is crucial to use high-quality materials for PCB fabrication. Therefore, the Arlon 44N was specially formulated to deliver great quality and performance. In this article, we will look into one of Arlon’s best quality materials, Arlon 44N.
What is Arlon 44N PCB Material?
Arlon 44N PCB material is a multifunctional micro dispersed epoxy prepreg system. This material is filled with epoxy fiberglass. Also, this PCB material features high resin content. Arlon 44N PCB material was specially designed for filling up clearance holes in thin metal PCBs. For example, it can fill clearance holes in 0.006 inches Copper-invar-Copper. Also, it is ideal for via holes in sequentially laminated multilayer board designs.
This prepreg system is very compatible with conventional epoxy fabrication. Arlon 44N PCB material reduces cracking and resin shrinkage in filled clearance holes. Also, the prepreg format removes any need for messy paste fill material. This material features a high Tg value that is very compatible with multifunctional epoxy processing.
Furthermore, Arlon 44N PCB material is available in high resin content prepreg. This material meets the specifications and requirements for IPC 4101/98. Therefore, it is a very reliable prepreg system. Also, Arlon 44N features great mechanical, electrical, and thermal properties.
Properties of Arlon 44N PCB Material
- The glass transition temperature of Arlon 44N is 175 degrees Celsius. This is a high Tg value. Therefore, this material offers thermal stability. The Tg value is the same at DSC and TMA.
- The thermal conductivity of Arlon 44N is 0.300 W/m-K.
- The Z-axis CTE value of Arlon 44N is 55 ppmo/C before glass transition temperature. After Tg, the CTE is 200 ppmo/C. However, the CTE at X and Y-axis is within the range of 14 – 16 ppmo/C. These values are ideal for PCB materials.
- The peel strength is 8 Ib/in (N/mm) at elevated temperature and after thermal stress. Also, this value is the same after process solutions.
- The water absorption rate of Arlon 44N is very low. This material features a 0.1% water absorption rate. Therefore, this material is ideal for use in a very humid environment.
- The young’s modulus is 2.8 Mpsi (GPa). Also, this mechanical property determines the functionality of this material. Therefore, it is very important.
- The dielectric constant of this material is 4.2 to 4.6 at 1 MHz.
- The dissipation factor of Arlon 44N is 0.025 at 1 MHz. Also, this is a very low dissipation factor. This indicates that it has a good insulator system.
- The volume resistivity of Arlon 44N at C96/35/90 is 2.6 x 107 ohm-cm. This value of this property becomes 3.3 x107 ohm-cm at E24/125.
Advantages of Arlon 44N
Ideal for lead-free applications
Arlon 44N is a PCB material that features no lead components. Therefore, this material is ideal for use in lead-free applications.
Multifunctional epoxy processing compatibility
This material is very compatible with the processing of conventional multifunctional epoxy. This is due to its high Tg value.
Arlon 44N PCB material is recognized and approved by some standards. For instance, this material complies with RoHS/WEEE standards. Also it meets the requirements and specifications of UL 94 V-0. In addition, it meets the specifications of IPC 4101/98.
Reduction of resin shrinkage
Arlon 44N is filled with micro-disperse ceramic. This helps to reduce cracking in filled clearance holes. Also, it reduces resin shrinkage.
Processing Conditions for Arlon 44N PCB Material
Experts recommend using vacuum assist lamination or vacuum for processing this material. Time, pressure, and temperature will depend on the panel size and other factors. Regulating the rate of heat-up is very important. The temperature of the multilayer package should be about 4-7 degrees per Celsius.
You should use a 90 minute cure temperature of 185 degrees Celsius to achieve a glass transition temperature below 170 degrees Celsius. You may need to extend the cure time to offset the metal’s heat lagging effects.
Use 1 hour for the first lamination in a sequential lamination. Then, you can now use 90 minutes for the final lamination. The cool down under pressure should be less than 5.5 degrees Celsius per minute. You can increase reliability cracking resistance by cooling down at less than 3 degrees Celsius per minute.
You should drill at 350 square feet meters. Experts recommend an undercut bit for vias that are 0.45cm and smaller. Utilize alkaline permanganate to desmear. Also, you can use plasma desmear with settings ideal for FR-4. For HASL or solder reflow, bake PCB for 1-2 hours at 121 degrees Celsius.
Applications of Arlon 44N PCB Material
Arlon 44N PCB material is ideal for use in some applications. This PCB material features some properties that make it suitable for these applications.
Filling thick metal copper ground planes
Arlon 44N PCB material is specifically designed to fill up clearance holes. This prepreg system is ideal for filling up thick metal copper ground planes.
Ball Grid Array Packaging
This PCB material is widely used for BGA packaging. BGA packages help to mount devices like microprocessors. Also, these packages can offer more interconnection pins than you can put on a flat package.
Automotive Under-hood applications
Arlon 44N is a core material in automotive under-hoods. Also, this material meets the increasing need for fuel efficiency and high performance. Wire toughs and battery boxes are examples of under-hood applications.
High Layer count multilayer boards
This is another application that relies on Arlon 44N PCB material. Also, this material meets the requirements of high layer count multilayer boards. It is thermally stable and reliable.
Backplanes and mother boards
Arlon 44N plays a crucial role in designing backplanes and motherboards. Backplanes function almost the same way as motherboards. Backplanes and motherboards are printed circuit board that feature connection slots for boards’ expansion. Also, this PCB enables communication between connected boards.
Arlon 44N PCB material is a core material for fabricating PCBs. Also, this material meets PCB industry standards. Therefore, it is highly reliable and safe for PCB fabrication.