Every PCB engineer and manufacturer wants to use the best PCB materials and polyimide prepregs to meet their PCB needs.
In this article we will be discussing the Arlon 84HP PCB Material. This is very similar to the Arlon 85HP PCB Material. However, we will be discussing the properties of the Arlon 84HP, as well as the features of this high-performance material.
Please continue reading to learn more.
What is the Arlon 84HP PCB Material?
The Arlon 84HP PCB Material is a ceramic-filled high-performance temperature for glass transition of 250 degrees Celsius based on the polyimide system of the Arlon 84N PCB material. This is designed to be useful in filling areas that are etched in the polyimide multilayers, which are made up of copper layers (thick). These are useful in filling the clearance areas present in the metal cores.
Furthermore, the ceramic filler, which is present in the resin reduces shrinkage, as well as inhibits any crack formulation all through the through-hole drilling present in the clearance areas.
The manufacturing of the Arlon 84HP PCB Material takes place on 106 E-glass which is 50 inches wide. Also, the Arlon 84HP PCB Material’s grain direction also matches that of the 85HP. Furthermore, the Arlon 84HP PCB Material obeys the IPC-4101/40/41 requirements, which is validated into IPC-4101/43.
What are the Properties of the Arlon 84HP PCB Material?
The following properties below, shows what the Arlon 84HP PCB Material has to offer.
The Arlon 84HP PCB Material has the following physical properties
- Flammability rating of HB
- Thermal conductivity of 0.5 W/mk
- It has a density of about 1.7 g/cm3
- Water absorption of 0.19%
The Arlon 84HP PCB Material has the following thermal properties.
- Its temperature for glass transition is at least 250 degrees Celsius. This means that the value can go higher
- Also, its decomposition temperature is 380 degrees Celsius
- At 50 – 260 degrees Celsius, the Arlon 84HP PCB Material’s expansion along the Z-axis is less than or equal to 1%.
- For the X, Y axis it has a CTE of 17 ppm/C.
- The T300, T288, and T260 are all higher than 60 minutes
- At a temperature of 430 degrees Celsius, the Arlon 84HP PCB Material loses 5% of the initial weight
The Arlon 84HP PCB Material has the following electrical properties.
- Its dielectric constant is 3.8 at 1 MHz
- It has a volume resistivity of 8.0 × 107 MΩ-cm for C96/35/90, while at E24/125, it has a volume resistivity of 5.9 × 107 MΩ-cm
- At 1 MHz, it has a dissipation factor of 0.009
- Also, this pcb material has an electrical strength of 48 kV/mm
- Its arc resistance is 182 seconds
- Its surface resistivity at E24/125 and C96/35/90 is 6.9 × 107 MΩ and 1.6 × 109 MΩ respectively
The Arlon 84HP PCB Material has the following mechanical properties.
- Its Poisson’s Ratio is 0.15
- Also, its young’s modulus for CD/MD is 3.0
- Its peel strength with respect to copper is 1.11 N/mm after thermal stress. Then at elevated temperatures, it stands at 92 N/mm, while after process solutions, the value is 93 N/mm
- Tensile strength is 241 Mpa
What are the Features of the Arlon 84HP PCB Material?
Just like other Arlon PCB materials, the Arlon 84HP PCB Material has different properties. This is due to the materials that fall under its categories of epoxy products, low-flow products, Arlon Polyimide, as well as SMT product materials. Below are the features of this PCB material.
High temperature of glass transition (Tg)
The Arlon 84HP PCB Material has a high temperature for glass transition of 250 degrees Celsius. This Tg value denotes the reversible and steady change of this material to be changed from its brittle glassy and tough state to a viscous or rubber state.
The Arlon 84HP PCB Material possesses low loss. This means that during high radio frequency situations, they heat up slowly.
This material exists as Arlon polymers, which comprises imide monomers that are categorized under high-performance plastics.
With this property, relating to resistance of high heat, this material is useful in different applications, which requires organic constituents that are rugged. Also, due to this, it is also deployed in military applications, fuel cells, high-temperature displays etc.
This means that the Arlon 84HP PCB Material has undergone tests for ten banned substances. This is usually conducted by any independent authority. These tests have to confirm the levels of these substances.
Reduces wicking and cracking
The Arlon 84HP PCB Material helps in reducing wicking and cracking. This is another feature that shows that this PCB material is a very reliable option for your engineering needs.
What are the Applications of the Arlon 84HP PCB Material?
The following are areas where you can apply the Arlon 84HP PCB Material.
- High assembly or process temperatures
- Designs having high MLB complexity and layer counts
- Equipment that are exposed to harsh and extreme temperatures. These include satellites and space, sensor systems, petroleum exploration i.e. down hole drilling, under-hood automotive, instrumentation of aircraft engines, semiconductor testing, and defense systems.
Benefits of the Arlon 84HP PCB Material
Because the Arlon 84HP PCB Material comes with great features, below are the benefits of using it.
- Lower immigration due to the different fiber reinforcement
- Not too sensitive to drilling and routing variations
- It is an environmentally friendly PCB material
- Also, it is possible to manufacture high-quality through holes
- Easy repair possible even under harsh conditions
- Supports a productive SMT attachment
- It is easy to process it
- Product shrinkage is low
- Great for applications operating at an elevated temperature
- Also, it is compatible with processing techniques that are lead-free
We hope we have been able to explain the properties and general features of the Arlon 84HP PCB Material. The versatility of this material is also seen, as it is useful in different PCB applications.