Arlon has successfully taken over the PCB material industry. This company keeps providing high-quality and high-performance PCB materials. This article focuses on providing more information about Arlon 84N PCB material.
What is Arlon 84N PCB Material?
Arlon 84N PCB Material is a ceramic-filled polyimide prepreg. This PCB material is designed based on Arlon 85N. Therefore, PCB manufacturers use it to fill etched area in multilayers with thick copper layers. Also, Arlon 84N is ideal for filling clearance holes in metal cores. This polyimide compound minimizes shrinkage. Also, it reduces cracking during through-hole drilling in already filled clearance areas.
In addition, this polyimide prepreg meets IPC-4101/40 and /41 requirements. Arlon 84N is a pure polyimide and prepreg system that is free of halogen components. This PCB material offers exceptional thermal stability for applications with high temperatures. Also, it is compatible with lead-free soldering applications. Arlon 84N PCB material features no epoxy.
Properties of Arlon 84N PCB Material
- The peel strength of this material is 7.1 (1.2) ib/in (N/mm) after thermal stress. However, this value still remains the same after process solutions and at increased temperatures.
- The water absorption rate of Arlon 84N is 0.27%.
- The thermal conductivity is 0.25 W/mK.
- The dielectric constant of Arlon 84N is 4.2 at 1MHz. At 1 GHz, this value is 4.0.
- The electrical strength of this material is 1451 (57.1) volts/mil (kV/mm).
- The dissipation factor of Arlon 84N at 1 MHz is 0.01. This value is very low. Therefore, Arlon 84N PCB material is a good insulator system.
- The surface resistivity is 1.6 x 108 at C96/35/90. This value is 1.6 x 108 when it is at E24/125.
- Arlon 84N PCB material features a very high Tg. The glass transition temperature is above 250 degrees Celsius.
- The decomposition temperature of this material is 387 degrees Celsius. However, at 5% weight loss, the Td value is 407 degrees Celsius.
- The Z-axis CTE is 48 ppmo/C before Tg. This value increases to 150 ppmo/C after Tg. Also, the Z-axis expansion between 50 to 260 degrees Celsius is 1.0%.
Processing Guidelines for Arlon 84N PCB Material
Arlon 84N PCB material is ideal for filling etched areas in clearance holes and copper layers. Therefore, the high flow of resin flows into the holes. Also, the exact pressed thickness of the glass and resin left after flow into the holes vary. This varies based on the holes density you need to fill. Also, it ensures great effectiveness. You can use two piles of Arlon 84N on each side of the material you need to fill.
The pressed thickness of 84N varies based on the thickness and amount of inner copper layers. Also, the Ho value is always the theoretical thickness when there is no fill or flow of inner layer copper. Arlon 84N PCB material minimizes resin content to offer a low pressed thickness.
- For the lamination cycle, the pre-vacuum should last for 30-45 minutes.
- Also regulate the heat to 4.5 – 6.5 degrees Celsius per minute between 100 and 150 degrees Celsius. Therefore, vacuum lamination is advisable.
- The cure temperature settings should be at 218 degrees Celsius. Also begin the cure time when the temperature of the product is above 213 degrees Celsius.
- The temperature cure time should be 120 minutes.
- Use alkaline permanganate for desmearing. Also, you can use plasma desmear with settings ideal for polyimide. However, plasma is highly recommended to achieve positive etchback. Also, 84N is highly compatible with conventional plating processes.
Benefits of Arlon 84N PCB Material
Arlon 84N PCB material has several benefits. Also, the best prepreg system is one that performs efficiently in PCB fabrication. This material is one of the best prepreg systems for filling etched areas in multilayer boards.
Arlon 84N PCB material meets the specification and description of some industry standards. For instance, this PCB material meets IPC 4101/40 and 4101/41 requirements. Also, Arlon 84N meets WEEE/RoHS standards.
This material doesn’t have any halogen components. Also, it is completely free of toxic substances. Therefore, it is highly recommended for use in PCB fabrication.
Exceptional thermal properties
This material features great thermal properties that contribute to its functionality. The high Td value and Tg value contribute to its thermal resistance. Also, it has got exceptional heat resistance.
Low Z-axis expansion
The Z-axis expansion of Arlon 84N is very low. Therefore, this reduces PTH defects risks that result from solder reflow.
Arlon 84N PCB material doesn’t only feature best-in-class thermal characteristics. Also, this material features exceptional electrical and mechanical properties. For instance, Arlon 84N features a low dissipation factor. The peel strength of this material is also very high. All of these properties are responsible for Arlon 84N’s performance.
Lead-free processing compatibility
This is another benefit you get to enjoy when you integrate Arlon 84N in your PCB. Arlon 84N PCB material is very compatible with lead-free processing.
Resin fracturing resistance
Arlon 84N PCB material resists resin fracturing due to the toughened chemistry. Therefore, this helps to strengthen the resin.
Applications of Arlon 84N PCB Material
Arlon 84N is majorly used in PCBs exposed to high temperatures during processing.
Automotive and transportation
The automotive and transportation industries use this PCB material. For instance, Arlon 84 is available in under-hood automotive controls.
Aerospace and defense
The devices used in these industries are most times exposed to long term high temperatures. For instance, Arlon 84N is ideal for use in designing aircraft engine instrumentation. Also, this PCB material offers great thermal performance. Therefore, this makes it a reliable option in these industries.
Arlon 84N PCB material is widely used in designing devices used in industries. For instance, you will find this material in industrial sensors. Also, this material is safe for industrial devices since it features no halogen.
This article has been able to provide vital information about Arlon 84N PCB material. Also, it discusses how this material impacts the PCB industry.