SOLIDWORKS PCB delivers the needed productivity to quickly design PCBs. This is ensured with a unique partnership formed between 3D mechanical and electrical design teams. This provides a clear benefit where the ECAD-MCAD partnership is very important for the general success of the design of electronic products.
This PCB design system is easy to use. Also, it delivers a strong and effective set of design tools that help in developing some electronic products. This was designed to suit those that are new or not used to electronics design systems. SOLIDWORKS PCB 2020 provides a unique and refined design environment. Asides from this, they offer advanced features to ensure bidirectional interaction with the MCAD process.
By experimenting with the SOLIDWORKS PCB software, you can easily explore its features and interface.
The Environment of SOLIDWORKS PCB
SOLIDWORKS PCB integrates a lot of PCB design tools, which features an easy-to-use and modern design interface. It has a user interface feature, which supports a workflow that is smooth and intuitive. This can be seen in the PCB design solidworks, schematic, and even in the design release stage. These features include:
- A refined menu system of ribbon-style
- Multi-tab, flexible, design editor windows
- User configuration preferences
- Dockable panels, which helps when working with design documents
- A complete set of command shortcut keys
- web-based and context-sensitive help reference
While moving between tasks in the design workflow of SOLIDWORKS PCB, its system responds to the present requirements. It does this by opening the ribbon menu set, panels, and design editors, which you may need for the current task. The design environment maintains a consistent feel and look, and changes dynamically to present the right windows and tools as you design. The elements of the user interface are nevertheless consistent when it comes to function, positioning, and style.
- You can open multiple documents for editing, with each giving you a separate Document Tab, which can be found on top of the workspace.
- While switching between different documents, for example from a PCB design to a schematic sheet, the tool options, and ribbon menu will change automatically.
- The commands seen in the File tab of the ribbon remain unchanged, regardless of the type of document.
- Workspace controls like panels can be docked along any of the workspace’s edges, at the side, or float on top of the application.
Ribbon Command System
The ribbon-style menu of the SOLIDWORKS PCB offers a highly visual and dynamic control system. With this feature, you can quickly find the commands needed.
The arrangement of the menus and commands buttons are done in groups under some series of tabs, which will all change to work with the current task. What results is a command interface that is easy to use and efficient. This makes the best use of the screen space available.
Making use of the ribbon menu is just as easy as choosing the right tab, or flicking through them quickly to locate some commands suitable for your present needs.
To gain access to editing commands and common files easily, the ribbon menu includes a Quick Access Bar area which can be found above the ribbon tabs. It provides buttons to open as well as save a document directly. You can also use the redo and undo buttons for the edits you made last. The leftmost icon button of the SOLIDWORKS PCB offers window controls like Close, Minimize, Maximize, etc.
The start page of the SOLIDWORKS PCB is opened when you install the software for the first time. This offers a central location where you can access several system configuration options and system tasks.
The page is specially designed to provide a direct and simple way to gain access to the software’s routinely used areas
- To manage the software license of the SOLIDWORKS PCB, Select My Account. This will also help you to sign in and out, as well as change your Account Preferences.
- If you want to begin a new project (blank), or make use of one from the supplied templates list, click on Start a new PCB Project.
- To load a library or PCB project you have already started working on, click Open Project
- From the shortcut list of your recent projects, you can choose a project you have previously opened. You can then open it using SOLIDWORKS PCB.
- From the shortcut list of your Reference Projects, you can choose one of the reference projects. You can then open it using SOLIDWORKS PCB.
- To see your currently active project documents’ graphical preview, just click Project Documents. Then to open a document in SOLIDWORKS PCB, just click a preview twice.
- To install and access extension modules, which add to the functionality of the SOLIDWORKS PCB and software updates of the system core, click “Extension and Updates.”
When a document is opened in the major design window of the SOLIDWORKS PCB, it is now the active document seen in the associated editor.
You can open multiple documents simultaneously. Each of these documents has a selection tap, which can be seen on top of the design window.
The whole workspace can be occupied with documents. Also, you can share the workspace between many open documents through Split commands, which can be seen in the Window menu. You can then drag these documents from any split region to the other.
Reasons why you should choose SOLIDWORKS PCB
Data and Design Management
With the SOLIDWORKS PDM-based design, SOLIDWORKS PCB-PDM Connector, and the data management workflow, you can design files, manage projects, and make proper documentation.
You can also index and store and design data securely for quick retrieval. You don’t have to worry about data loss and version control. Also, it is possible to collaborate on design data from more than one location.
ECAD-MCAD Design Collaboration
The collaboration and integration of the ECAD-MCAD with SOLIDWORKS is unmatched. This unifies design data and enforces changes to both sides of the design project.
PCB Design Engine
Modern Schematic Entry
The Altium solidworks has a schematic capture tool that has great and extensive electrical rules, libraries, and drafting capabilities.
Its Interface is Streamlined
It has an easy-to-use and intuitive interface. Asides from this, it has a use-model and consistent editor between the board layout and schematic capture.
The ECAD-MCAD Engineering Change Order (ECO) process is managed
A managed ECO process handles changes in design. This includes cutouts, mounting holes, component placement, and board shape. This ensures that designs are kept in sync.
3D Clearance Checking
Using components present in the mechanical composure, you can visualize the PCB. This is to help in reducing expensive prototypes by making sure that the board, as well as its components, is perfect for the mechanical enclosures with 3D clearance checking.
SPICE 3f5 Simulator (Mixed-Mode)
You can analyze and simulate mixed and analog-signal circuits from inside the schematic editor. This will help in preventing unnecessary design revisions and making design trade-offs by carrying out a functional validation on the designs before manufacturing or layout.
Here, you can search online supplier links and databases or fix parametric data to the components of your design. This will help you match pricing, real-time device parameters, and availability. Asides from this, this equips you with updated information all through the whole design process.
By having this information, you will be able to make quick decisions to meet deadlines, budget, and electrical requirements.
Compare and manage all the changes made and history to design files and gain higher control over the changes that have been made to your design. By this, you will know exactly what type of changes was made and who made them.
Component Database Support
From a corporate database, you can place the parametric data of the component directly. This keeps the components that have been utilized in your design synchronized with the database’s stored data.
Great File Support
With the 3D file support of SOLIDWORKS, you can be assured knowing the intentions of your mechanical designer. This offers a very pure and precise version of component enclosures and models. This makes sure that your check process offers a very good picture on board fit.
Revision Management and Design Commenting
Here, you can take total control of the process your design passes through and understand the changes made to the board design and the time it was made. Comprehensive design revision comments will let you see the history of changes made and with the ability to reject or accept the changes.
The SOLIDWORKS PCB design system is easy to use. It delivers a strong and effective set of design tools that help in developing some electronic products. Also, it provides a unique and refined design environment.