There are a wide range of circuit design software applications available in the market. The choice of your software application depends on the requirement of your PCB project. Commonly used PCB design software applications include Cadence Allegro, Altium designer, and Easyeda. However, choosing the best design software to design schematics is as important as the simulation.
Therefore, these circuit board designing tools come with some important functions such as Built-in schematic , Schematic capture, Spice simulation, and PCB design Schematics among others. If you are are a beginner at PCB design and you are wondering what kind of PCB design software to opt for, this article is for you.
If you are in need of a reliable and free PCB designing software for your project, then the Cadence Allegro vs EasyEDA online are some of the software applications you can opt for. This is because these pieces of software have got all the necessary tools to make your PCB design easy for you. Cadence Allegro and EasyEDA are free PCB designing software applications. This article discusses an overview of the Cadence Allegro vs EasyEDA online. Also, it discusses the differences between these PCB designers.
What is EasyEDA?
Before you understand the software EasyEDA, you need to understand what this software is used for and who can use it. People like electrical tester, embedded engineer, and electrical engineer need to create and simulate printed circuit boards and also design circuits. These professionals need an easier approach to perform these tasks. Therefore, EasyEDA is the online PCB design tool that helps in the designing printed circuit boards.
In August 2013, the initial version of this tool was introduced. However, official launch happened in March 2014. There have been different versions of this software. There is a final version features various major revisions and improvements. So, what is EasyEDA and what functions and features does it offer?
EasyEDA stands for Easy Electronics Design Automation. With the name of this software, one can easily tell it makes it easy to design circuits. EasyEDA is a web-based tool software that enables electrical engineers, PCB manufacturers, and many others to design a circuit. Also, it offers other functions such as simulation, sharing and viewing the schematics of the circuits. This PCB design software offers simulations through its highly comprehensive tool.
Furthermore, EasyEDA enables users to transform ideas into reality through the Integrated with LCSC components. This circuit design software is free, easy-to-install and offers engineering students, electrical engineers, electronics hobbyists, and educators a great PCB design experience.
EasyEDA is very reliable and easy to learn. Also, the user interface is very friendly and responsive. This software features a rich library equipped with a wide range of electronic components and tens of thousands of examples for schematics.
EasyEDA is a design software ideal for both professionals and beginners. You can download or run this software online.
Advantages and Disadvantages of EasyEDA
- Features easy-to use and user-friendly design tools
- Comes with enormous library for a wide range of components that allows users to quickly illustrate schematic diagrams
- Easy EDA allows users to download a schematic diagram and files from other software such as KiCad and Eagle.
- Doesn’t require installation, users can easily operate via a web browser
- Offers support to all operating systems
- It is ideal for remote workers as it allows access from any system, anywhere in the world
- Users can easily share design with other clients who are online
- Allows users get new designs from the community
- It is a new software application and as such it takes some time to get awareness
- You can’t use this software without internet connection.
What are the Features of EasyEDA?
EasyEDA offers a lot of features. The main features of this PCB design software include:
- EasyEDA has a user friendly, simple, easy, and very powerful tool to help draw the circuits
- It offers Schematic Capture
- Comes with a PCB Layout
- Users can operate at anytime from anywhere around the world
- Features Team Cooperation in Real-time
- It makes Online Sharing possible for users
- EasyEDA can design several Open Source Projects
- Has Script Support
- Comes with Millions of Free Libraries
- Has incorporated printed circuit board fabrication
- It can carry out components selection through direct links
- Features open-source designs
- This single tool is ideal for all the PCB manufacturing processes
- Comes with automatic Upgrade of Libraries
- EasyEDA is free or requires low-cost subscription
- It allows users to recover documents at any level
- Can export documents in PNG,PDF, and SVG formats
- Features design rules checking
- Allows BOM/DXF exports
Steps in EasyEDA PCB Design
To get started with the EasyEDA design tool, you need to visit their website and create an account.
Design a schematic diagram
After you have opened the website login and entered the login details, you can begin a new project. Create a new project and navigate into the drawing board and choose the components needed from the libraries. If you find it difficult to discover the needed component, search for option like MORE LIBRARIES. This option will help you search for your needed component.
Choose the needed components and start creating the schematic diagram. After this, click on the needed component to choose & click on the canvas.
Check the connections
It is important you check every connection once you have finished the designing the schematic. To achieve this, you will have to create a folder like Nets on the Design Manager tab. If components are not well connected , there will be automatic warnings. Some errors are likely to occur during the circuit design. Some of these errors include overlay of contact pads and vertical paths to the contacts.
Simulate the circuit
You will see a green button on the menu’s top once you have saved the circuit. Select the green button for simulation and click on “run the document.” Once you have done the simulation, you will see the diagram at the terminal you have selected.
Converting PCB layout through EasyEDA
Click the option “project to PCB” once you are in the schematic board. Once you click it, you will see the PCB design board page open. This page will ask to choose the most suitable components to continue if any components over the schematic diagram has no PCB traces.
What is Cadence Allegro PCB Design software?
Cadence Allegro circuit design software was developed by Cadence. This software features several top-notch features and great design computing capabilities. Allegro allows you to create the most complex and simple circuit board design from the beginning to the end. Furthermore, the scalable technology of Allegro helps designers to meet the requirement for methodological and technical needs.
A PCB designer can carry out analysis studies and basic simulation with the use of the in-design analysis tools. Also, Allegro PCB designer offers you the possible tools required to make a design perfectly. The productivity and reusability features in Cadence Allegro help in improving a project’s efficiency. Also, this software automates routine tasks which help to save time.
Features of Cadence Allegro
Allegro Miniaturization tool is majorly concerned with the embedment of parts into the circuit board. Also, this tool checks the layer stack-up, required cavity space, part height, and clearance. The miniaturization tool is crucial in checking for additional design rules for HDI.
PCB Library Creator
The Library creator in Cadence Allegro makes it much easier for users to create 3D models or 2D footprint drawings simultaneously. Also, the library is equipped with ECAD and MCAD models that are ready to use. Users can as well design new 3D packages from upload and templates.
Cadence Allegro allows users to integrate normal schematic elements with layout elements. The Allegro/RF option makes this easy for users. These elements include transmission lines, filters, and couplers. Also, you can edit the connectivity of these elements in the PCB editing workspace. All thanks to the Allegro/RF option.
There is a documentation editor in the Allegro Manufacturing feature-kit. With this tool, users are able to automatically create systematic documentation and files for assembly information, production data, and manufacturing details.
The Constraint Manager system operates well with high-speed interfaces like USB 2.0 and 3.0, RAM boards, PCIe, and (DDR2-5). All thanks to the new high-speed package.
Symphony Team Design
Cadence Allegro comes with a Symphony Team Design. This feature allows team members to work together on a single layout. In this case, each member gets to work on their section since the design is divided. Also, the online symphony server makes it possible to work on the same database simultaneously.
FPGA System Planning
Assigning pins and programming the field programmable gate array (FPGA) can be a difficult task to accomplish. Cadence Allegro offers designers a FPGA planner tool to make things easier. Therefore, designers can keep track of any changes in layout design, check the FPGA and HW. This helps all designers to stay in sync.
Scalable PCB Layout
Cadence Allegro PCB features a Design Flow that offers a great layout editing experience to users. Also, users can run signal and power integrity checks in the circuit board tool itself. Cadence Allegro comes with RF, PI, and SI simulation tools to ensure accurate virtual measurements.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Cadence Allegro
Allegro is an efficient PCB design software equipped with sophisticated tools and features. This makes it an ideal choice among PCB designers and engineers. There are several benefits of using the Cadence Allegro.
- This PCB design software features auto-interactive commands. With these commands, users can delay and phase-tune. Also, the overlays are usually color-coded as this helps in simplifying high-speed interface layouts.
- Cadence Allegro has an interface to Keysight ADS to help users optimize and simulate their design.
- With the Allegro Automation system, users can carry out document edits without hassle and consistently. Also, file edits, drawing details, and annotations are very easy to track. Users can as well view these details easily.
- You can check and view the design and manufacturing rules easily and quickly with the help of the DesignTrue DFM technology.
- Also, Cadence Allegro allows you to create their own custom design constraints. This software enables the automation of the checking process. With this users can receive real-time feedback on the validity of their design.
- Furthermore, it is easier to carry out interconnection planning and routing, all thanks to the high-speed interface provided for complex designs.
- Users complain that this software can take time to design library symbols.
- For Cadence Allegro, setup time is high and the learning curve is steep.
Who Should Use Cadence Allegro?
Cadence Allegro is ideal for anyone who wants to design electronic circuits. One of the benefits of this software is its user-friendly interface. This makes suitable for professionals and beginners. Cadence Allegro is ideal for designers, students, Engineers, professionals, and hobbyists.
Allegro PCB Designer is software for all. This software doesn’t require you to get advanced skill and knowledge before you can use it. It can be a bit difficult for starters, but the guided tutorials can be of great help. With this tutorial, you can get things right. Also, it is a great appeal for employees in businesses and industries that want to work remotely. One great thing about this software is that you can use it from anywhere in the world.
Cadence Allegro supports platforms like Windows 2008 R2 server, Microsoft Windows 7 professional, Windows 10, Windows 8 (64-bit), and Windows 12 server. Also, this software offers a student version for free trial.
If you are in need of a reliable and free PCB designing software for your project, then the Cadence Allegro vs EasyEDA online are some of the software applications you can opt for. This is because these pieces of software have got all the necessary tools to make your PCB design easy for you.