PCBs are electronic gadgets that electrically connect and mechanical support electronic components using:
- Conductive pathways and
- Signal traces or tracks etched from a copper sheet that’s laminated onto some non-conductive substrate.
Lamination of the copper sheet is crucial as that determines the quality of the PCB well, among other things. Furthermore, the epoxy should:
- Withstand high-temperature conditions and
- Avoid causing damage to the components that connect to the PCB
Due to these reasons, we shall be looking at one of the best epoxies to utilize. The Nelco N4000-29 BC Buried Capacitance Multifunctional Epoxy is a durable and efficient epoxy. But what does this epoxy entail? And why does it stand out?
About the Nelco N4000-29 BC Buried Capacitance Multifunctional Epoxy
The Nelco N4000-29 BC is a high Tg, low-CTE, lead-free epoxy substrate that you can utilize for multiple purposes. The design of this epoxy makes it suitable for:
- Standard multilayer PWD designs
- The most challenging lead-free, high-performance applications
The Nelco N4000-29 BC offers an efficient buried capacitance (BC) solution. It also provides a higher degree of design freedom for less complex and reliable assemblies.
What are the key features of the Nelco N4000-29 BC
The Nelco N4000-29 BC Buried Capacitance Multifunctional Epoxy has the following features:
Lower Z-axis expansion
- Low expansion boosts THT (through-hole) reliability
- It makes these epoxies great for assemblies that utilize a high layer count
- The design help this epoxy withstand many reflow excursions plus repair operations
Moisture resistance, thermal stability, and high Tg
- These features improve the compatibility of the Nelco N4000-29 BC with lead-free assemblies
- It boosts the peel strength of this epoxy and makes it suitable for:
- High layer count
- Complex PWD designs
- CAF Resistance provides prolonged reliability of the end product.
Proprietary resin chemistry
- Proprietary resin chemistry improves the following:
- Thermal stability
- Moisture resistance of the Nelco N4000-29 BC.
These advantages make this epoxy better than the traditional epoxies.
The Nelco N4000-29 BC has superior rheology, which offers:
- Consistent control flow and
- Superior via topography
Buried capacitance improves the designing freedom for more reliable assemblies.
Applications of the Nelco N4000-29 BC
The Nelco N4000-29 BC has the following applications:
- Developing telecommunication infrastructure
- Generating high-tech information storage applications
- Tight tolerance (Via – Via) applications
- In Backplanes that have large formats
- To carry out assemblies that are lead-free
- In the generations of high-density interconnections
- For DCA lead-free applications
- In extreme layer count multilayers
- In underhood high temperature automotive
- For high input and output count, BGA
The Nelco N4000-29 BC is RoHS compliant. It also meets the following specifications:
Physical Properties of the Nelco N4000-29 BC
We understand that physical properties are the features that you can only observe without altering the identity of the component.
Physical properties may include:
- Boiling points
- Melting points
- Density etc
The Nelco N4000-29 BC has the following physical properties:
Density – the Nelco N4000-29 BC has the following density:
- 1.99 g/cc
Water absorptions – The water absorption rate of the Nelco N4000-29 BC stands at 0.15%
Mechanical properties of the Nelco N4000-29 BC
When you apply force onto a component, you will note some fascinating features. These features are known as mechanical features, and they are distinct among different components.
The Nelco N4000-29 BC has the following mechanical features:
Peel strength – The Nelco N4000-29 BC has the following peel strength:
- at high temperatures, the Nelco N4000-29 BC has a peel strength of 1.56 kN/m
- after coming into contact with the process solutions, the peel strength of the Nelco N4000-29 BC goes up to 1.70 kN/m
- after the solder float process, the peel strength of this epoxy hits 1.77kN/m
Thermal properties of the Nelco N4000-29 BC
The thermal properties of an epoxy are pretty crucial. That is because, in PCBs, epoxies have to withstand high temperatures during the reflow phase. As a result, weak epoxies suffer complex damages, but strong epoxies survive and make excellent print circuit boards.
The Nelco N4000-29 BC has the following thermal properties:
Specific Heat Capacity – As per specific heat capacity, the Nelco N4000-29 BC stands at:
- 0.920 J/g-0C
Thermal conductivity – the thermal conductivity of the Nelco N4000-29 BC is:
- 0.460 W/m-K
The Tg, Glass transition temperature – Nelco N4000-29 BC epoxies have a Tg of:
- >=1750C and,
- >= 1850C
Decomposition temperature – the decomposition temperature of the Nelco N4000-29 BC stands at:
- 3500C that’s is 6620F (at 5% weight loss)
Flammability, UL94 – The Nelco N4000-29 BC has the following flammability value:
Electrical properties of the Nelco N4000-29 BC
In electrical properties, we look at a component’s ability to conduct electricity.
Therefore the Nelco N4000-29 BC bears the following electrical properties:
Dielectric constant – The dielectric constants of the Nelco N4000-29 BC are as follows:
- At a frequency of 1.00e + 10 Hz, the Nelco N4000-29 BC has a dielectric constant of 3.7 (split post cavity)
- At a frequency of 1.00e + 9 Hz, the Nelco N4000-29 BC has a dielectric constant of 3.9
- However, at a frequency of 1.00e + 6 Hz, the dielectric constant of the Nelco N4000-29 BC goes up to 4.1
Dielectric strength – The dielectric strength of the Nelco N4000-29 BC stands at:
- 43.3 kV/mm (1100 VK/in)
Dissipation factor – The Nelco N4000-29 BC has the following dissipation factors:
- At a frequency of 2.50e + 10 Hz, the dissipation factor of the Nelco N4000-29 BC stands at 0.016 (split post cavity)
- At a frequency of 1.00e + 6 Hz, the dissipation factor goes up to 0.22
Descriptive properties of the Nelco N4000-29 BC
The Nelco N4000-29 BC has the following descriptive properties:
Methylene chloride resistance – The Nelco N4000-29 BC has a methylene chloride resistance rate of:
T260 (minutes) – The T260 of the Nelco N4000-29 BC is:
T288 (minutes) – The T288 of the Nelco N4000-29 BC stands at:
The Nelco N4000-29 BC Buried Capacitance Multifunctional Epoxy is pretty efficient. Its design makes it suitable for complex lead-free applications. Furthermore, it has CAF resistance which gives the end product a prolonged life span. The many benefits and applications of the Nelco N4000-29 BC make it one of a kind in the market today. Hence, if you are looking for an epoxy to utilize in your Print Circuit Board, you can try this one out. The results are bound to surprise you.