The Xilinx XC7VX690T-2FFG1761I is a high-performance FPGA (Field Programmable Gate Array) belonging to the Virtex-7 family. FPGAs are semiconductor devices that can be programmed to implement custom digital logic as needed by the designer. The XC7VX690T provides abundant resources, high speed, and advanced capabilities for tackling complex algorithms in data center, wired networking, wireless, and industrial applications.
In this article, we will take a deep dive into the architecture, features, applications, and key specifications of the Xilinx XC7VX690T-2FFG1761I FPGA.
An FPGA is an integrated circuit chip containing programmable logic blocks and interconnects. Unlike an ASIC (Application Specific Integrated Circuit) which is fixed at manufacturing, an FPGA can be programmed anytime after manufacturing to create almost any type of digital circuit or system.
Key FPGA capabilities:
- Programmable Logic Blocks – Provide logical functions and storage
- Reconfigurable Interconnects – Connect logic blocks as needed
- I/O Blocks – Interface with external signals
- Embedded IP blocks – Extra functions like RAM, DSP slices
- Configuration Memory – Stores logic programming
FPGAs provide high performance, flexibility, fast time-to-market and lower non-recurring engineering costs compared to ASICs for many applications.
Xilinx Virtex-7 FPGA Family
The Virtex-7 family provides Xilinx’s highest capacity and performance FPGAs built on a cutting-edge 28nm manufacturing process. Key highlights:
- Advanced 28nm process for 2 million logic cells
- System gate capacity up to 6.8 million
- State-of-the-art power reduction techniques
- Up to 4.4 million flip-flops, 2160 DSP slices
- Multi-mode 28Gbps transceivers
- Integrated PCIe Gen3 endpoint block
- Advanced SEU mitigation, ECC, redundancy
The Virtex-7 enables creation of highly complex digital systems in a single device for a wide array of applications.
The XC7VX690T-2FFG1761I FPGA belongs to the high-end Virtex-7 XT family. It provides a rich mix of programmable logic, DSP, block RAM, high-speed serial connectivity with power reduction enhancements.
Key features include:
- 1761K logic cells, 693K flip-flops
- 1968 Kb block RAM
- 3600 DSP48E1 slices with 25×18 multipliers
- On-chip memory ECC, SEU detection/correction
- High-performance parallel I/O
- Integrated PCIe Gen3 x8 endpoint block
- Twelve 28Gbps multi-mode transceivers
- Advanced power management architecture
- Enhanced configuration security
This blend of resources makes the XC7VX690T ideal for accelerated algorithms, inline processing, video imaging, test and measurement.
XC7VX690T Internal Architecture
Key logic resources include:
Configurable Logic Blocks (CLBs) – Basic logic elements for implementing combinatorial and sequential functions
Slice M and Slice L – Slices with wide 6-input LUTs, memory, registers
DSP Slices – High speed arithmetic processing; multiply, accumulate
Block RAM – Large 36Kb dual-port memories with ECC protection
Clock Management Tiles (CMTs) – Digital clocks, PLLs, low jitter
PCIe Block – Integrated PCI Express endpoint; x8 Gen3 interface
Transceivers – Multi-mode serializer/deserializers; up to 28Gbps
I/O Blocks – Support wide range of I/O standards; memory interfaces
Features and Performance
The XC7VX690T incorporates many advanced features that enhance capability, reliability and speed:
28nm Process – Enables 2x density versus previous 40nm, lower power
1566MHz speed grade – Delivers very high performance; fast logic, memory and DSP
ECC Protection – On-chip ECC corrects single and multi-bit errors; enhances reliability
SEU Mitigation – Configuration scrubbing, redundancy eliminates sensitivity to radiation induced errors
Power Reduction – Multiple low power modes; clock gating, region gating, block RAM sleep
PCIe Hard Block – Integrated PCIe Gen3 endpoint; lower cost, power versus soft core
28Gbps Transceivers – Support protocols like 28G Ethernet, OTU4; reduce power versus parallel I/O
Enhanced Security – AES bitstream encryption; anti-tamper detection; configuration locking
The advanced capabilities of the XC7VX690T make it suitable for a wide range of applications including:
- Data center networking – Network acceleration, inline processing, algorithm offload
- Wired communications – 100G Ethernet switches, network interface cards, optical transport
- Wireless infrastructure – 4G/5G base stations, radio heads, 40G backhaul
- Test and measurement – High-speed ATE, functional test
- Medical imaging – Real-time image processing, beamforming, PET, MRI
- Video analytics – Multi-channel HD encoding, decoding, transcoding
- Industrial automation – Multi-axis motor synchronization and control
- Scientific computing – Real-time data acquisition, signal processing, vector math
Full Part Number – XC7VX690T-2FFG1761I
Temperature Range – C = Commercial (0°C to +85°C ambient)
Package Type – FF = Flip-chip BGA; 1788 pins, 35x35mm, 1.0mm pitch
Speed Grade – -2 = Maximum frequency of 1566MHz
This part can be ordered directly from Xilinx or its authorized distributors. Refer to the Xilinx data sheet for complete specifications and ordering options.
The Xilinx Virtex-7 XC7VX690T-2FFG1761I FPGA provides a massive amount of logic, block RAM, DSP slices and high-speed I/O to tackle complex algorithms. Advanced features like ECC, encryption, and SEU resistance make it suitable for high-reliability applications. The 28nm process enables significant power reduction to allow increased integration. With its high capacity and performance, the XC7VX690T is an ideal FPGA for accelerating compute-intensive tasks.
What type of programmable logic does the XC7VX690T FPGA provide?
The XC7VX690T provides 1761K 6-input LUT-based logic cells along with 693K flip-flops for implementing sequential as well as combinatorial logic.
How much on-chip memory is available in the XC7VX690T?
This FPGA provides 1968 Kb of 36Kb block RAM along with 12,288 distributed LUT RAM for implementing local data storage and buffers.
What high-speed I/O interfaces are included in the device?
Key I/O interfaces are twelve 28Gbps transceivers supporting protocols like 100GbE, OTU4; PCIe Gen3 x8; and high-speed parallel interfaces like DDR3.
What types of arithmetic processing does the XC7VX690T support?
For arithmetic processing, it includes 3600 DSP48E1 slices each with a 25×18 multiplier and 48-bit accumulator running up to 1566MHz.
How suitable is this FPGA for high reliability applications?
Features like on-chip ECC, SEU mitigation, configuration scrubbing, and encryption make the XC7VX690T very robust for high reliability applications.