Anyone in the SMT industry, including electronics students, designers, and manufacturers, has to know at least one reliable surface mount technology company. It becomes crucial, especially when getting circuit board insights, manufacturing, assembly, and fabrication services. Additionally, it can become pivotal for fellow manufacturers to assess the competition. As a friend once told me, information implies power, and knowing the best surface mount technology company in the market can come in handy. It will not only allow you to access their world-class SMT technology but use their SMT machinery to acquire the best SMT quality printed circuit boards.
Overview of the SMT Market
The SMT industry represents a sizeable, lucrative, and growing market with an estimated value of USD 5.42 billion by 2022. It arises from the increasingly on-demand need for printed circuit board miniaturization. The five-year period forecast by category that started from 2017 offers better insights.
- By equipment
- The inspection equipment category represents a significant SMT market category with a 28% market share. It is a market class that gets propelled by the ever-improving product tech, reliability, responsiveness, and inspection quality. Increased demand during the forecast period is especially accounted for by the automotive, telecom, consumer electronics, computing, and storage.
- By application
- In the forecast period, the application segment of consumer electronics gets expected to account for the lion’s share of the SMT market. The demand gets propelled by the increasing preference for small-sized devices, in which SMT technology plays an instrumental role. SMT components prove small, lighter, and thinner compared to through-hole packages.
- APAC. It gets estimated that it will account for the lion’s share when it comes to market size. The projection also entails rapid growth during this five-year forecast period, accounted for by the telecommunication sector. The key driver for this SMT segment entails the growing demand for the 3G/4G networks. Companies within this market segment deploy growth approaches like fresh product launches, agreements, collaborations, partnerships, and acquisitions.
Overview of an SMT Company
A surface mount technology company infers a company within the PCB electronics industry that provides SMT products and services. While some of these companies specialize solely in surface mount technology, most tend to deliver products in the broader category of printed circuit boards. However, these companies still provide SMT and SMD products through their qualified teams of engineers and designers.
The SMT company not only has to possess the required financial and human resource capacity to deliver quality SMT devices but prove licensed to operate by the relevant authorities besides having a demonstrated history of working on printed circuit boards and surface mount technology. These companies’ products and services often include SMDs (surface mounted devices), SMT software design tools, manufacturing, and assembly services.
An excellent example of an SMT company includes the RayMing PCB and Assembly Company. The company has its base in China and has a fifteen-year demonstrated track record of providing state-of-the-art PCB tech products and top-rate quality standards in the electronics industry. It prides itself in meeting your PCB demands, including SMT products and services. It starts from the small volume level to mass PCB production, regardless of the simplicity or complexity of your design.
Features of a Surface Mount Technology Company
An SMT company needs to have specific attributes to offer you quality and trusted PCB products and services, including surface mount devices, surface mount technology, etc. To better understand this aspect, I will detail our company, RayMing PCB, and assembly as an example.
- Demonstrated capacity to offer SMT and other PCB services
- With over fifteen years of offering their PCB services and products, RayMing PCB and Assembly demonstrates the capacity to provide SMTs and other printed circuit board products and services. It includes manufacturing, fabrication, testing, and assembly services for PCBs. Additionally, it has many professionals working on your orders besides an excellent customer relation service. Services include SMT stencil assembly among Flex PCB, prototype PCB, box build, IC programming, PCBA testing, electronic components, etc.
- Certifications and approval to operate. A reputable SMT company needs to demonstrate its certification of the products and services it provides. Because of the increased overseas nature of PCB companies, the company’s website needs to have these certifications displayed on the home page.
- An updated company website. Most printed circuit board companies and, by extension, SMTs rely heavily on their visibility online to respond to inquiries, receive orders, communicate, and advertise their products and services. Therefore, websites become pivotal, and any misinformation or outdated PCB product and service information typify the company as unreliable. Reliability and quality are everything in this industry.
- Physical address. Any serious company must have a physical address, let alone a big and reliable PCB company. To get a reputable company, even if it’s based overseas, try and check if it has a physical address.
The SMT Manufacturing and Assembly Services
The importance of understanding the best SMT Company across your region or the globe requires comprehension of the SMT product or service you want. Therefore, it would help if you took time and considered the diverse types of SMTs and the process involved in the manufacturing process.
- The printed circuit board material possesses solder pads that lack holes. Therefore, the solder paste needs get applied via the screen-printing-like technique. Here, a stencil template gets used to control the placement to ensure that the material gets smeared on the vital regions.
- Computerized machines get used for the component placement after selection; after that, it becomes instrumental in positioning the desired SMDs besides extra components correctly on the printed circuit board. The components after that get fed via reels into the machine. However, for particular components like the IC (integrated circuits), the delivery happens via the static-free media.
- After this, the boards undergo soldering, and here, the heating process of the solder pads proceeds until the solder melts and attaches with the components on the PCB board. In specific settings where either side of the PCB has to get used for components, the soldering/placement processes are repeated on the alternate side.
- Components proving heat-sensitive can get integrated within the PCB at this point and after the programmed soldering process finishes. Please note that the process can proceed manually or through safe processes that will not disfigure the component.
- After this, your PCB board gets “washed” to jettison any excess solder deposit or flux, and which can lead to component short-circuiting as a result of their corresponding placement tolerance.
- Once finalized, washed, and dried out, the printed circuit board is subjected to inspection to ensure its quality. The inspection aims to look for missing components, soldering, and alignment problems that can cause malfunctions. However, one excellent piece of news comes in access regarding the automated and inspection equipment.
- Inspected boards subsequently proceed to the next stage, where testing for functionality happens.
Why You Have to Procure the Services of an SMT Company
Surface mount technology, originally inferred as planar mounting, proves instrumental in equal measure, especially as the perfect alternative to through-hole technology. It has the benefit of reduced weight and smaller-sized PCBs. Additionally, the components can get aligned closer to each other, leading to a lightweight and compact end product. The two not only prove the sole benefits of SMTs. To understand why you need SMT companies in getting your SMT printed circuit boards, consider the following.
- SMT companies have machines and technologies to ensure autocorrecting of component placement. Consequently, it results in reduced errors and increases the operational efficiency of the PCB.
- Small-sized SMDs cost less compared to the through-hole component equivalents. Procuring the services of an SMT company not only taps into this cost-reduction strategy but also taps into the economies of scale, especially if you want mass orders.
- At times combining the SMT and through-hole technologies on one board becomes difficult. By procuring the services of an SMT company, you will get the advantage of using machine techniques besides tapping into the expertise of their engineers to combine the two techs. Additionally, the use of SMT makes it a possibility.
- SMT companies possess the expensive machines and technologies of producing complex SMT PCBs; therefore, you can tap into this possibility to design and develop a complex PCB. Further, your PCB will have a better electromagnetic conductivity because of the low lead inductions.
- You can also experience better performance due to the stability of SMT connections, especially in shaky conditions. Another key reason to consider this tech and having your SMT PSB manufactured by an SMT company.
- You also get to enjoy selective soldering, quality, and quantity all rolled into one, multitasking capabilities, and lower induction, which improve efficiency and reduce production costs. It is another key reason why you have to take advantage and get an SMT company to manufacture your printed circuit boards.
Surface mount technology proves instrumental in the miniaturization of printed circuit boards, improving operational capacity and efficiency. For this reason, you have to consider this as your go-to tech for almost all your PCB needs. However, understanding all the aspects of SMT proves the foundation, and researching and finding the best SMT Company to produce your SMT PCB completes.
What’s more? You should not look further, as we have all the necessary tools and experience at RayMing PCB and Assembly to bring your SMT printed circuit board design into a reality.