The Rogers RO3210 materials are laminates that are strengthened using woven fiberglass. The engineering of these materials is to provide great mechanical stability and electrical performance at competitive prices. Compared to the ro3000 series, the design of the Rogers ro3210 was done with improved mechanical stability.
Features of the Rogers RO 3210
The ro3210 boasts superior and stable mechanical and electrical properties. This product boasts all the features of the Rogers ro3000; however, its mechanical stability is more enhanced.
The ro3210 has these features:
- Great dimensional stability
- Smoother laminate and copper surface e
- Better substrate rigidity as a result of woven glass reinforcement
- Low insertion loss
- Priced competitively
- The dielectric constant is high
- Stable dielectric constant in different frequencies and temperatures
- The coefficient of thermal expansion is low
- Uniform electrical and mechanical properties
Reasons Why You Should Use RO 3210 Laminate
The ro3210 laminates deliver many advantages for applications that require using mechanically rigid materials. These advantages include:
- Great for use in applications requiring high frequency, which needs a high dielectric constant
- Ideal for portable and mobile devices that operates under harsh conditions
- It is less fragile and can be handled easily. This is because of the great rigidity of the material
- Provides higher yields during production as a result of the unique dimensional stability of the material
- With its smoother surface, it tolerates finer line etching
- Great for the construction of epoxy, complex, multi-layer boards as a result of stable and uniform mechanical and electrical properties
- Ideal for mounting surface assemblies due to low in-plane expansion
Applications that Require Using RO 3210 Laminates
The ro3210 laminate can be used in different radio-frequency and commercial microwave applications. It was manufactured with reinforcement of the woven glass, thereby making it more superior that the RO 3010. The rogers ro3210 can be used in these applications:
- Automotive GPS antennas
- Base stations’ infrastructure
- Satellites for direct broadcast
- Backplanes for power
- Wireless telecommunication systems
- Remote meter readers
- LMDS and wireless broadband
- Datalink systems in cables
- Antennas-wireless communications with microstrip patch
- Automotive collision avoidance systems
Advantages of the High Dielectric Constant of the RO 3210 Laminates
Today, PCB materials having high dielectric constants can be employed in power antennas and amplifiers involving large volumes.
Although PCB materials having a high dielectric constant have many benefits, which are mostly based on delivering power integrity, people don’t usually consider them. A good number of fabricators usually prefer to choose PCB materials having low dielectric constant (Dk) over those with high Dk for high-speed applications and high frequency due to their low loss tangent.
Below are some of the advantages of choosing a PCB material with high Dk:
Thermal Conductivity is Much Higher
Materials having high Dk made from PTFE, and are ceramic filled like RO 3210, usually have higher thermal conductivity. Asides from their better heat-skin designs, these materials provide heat transfer from active components and devices into heat sinks.
The use of materials with high Dk will help in producing multilayer PCBs. Here, just a few layers prove critical for the operation of the microwave. Also, PCB materials with low cost can be used in scenarios like this.
A multilayer stack-up with high Dk material can ensure the separation of ground power and planes thereby causing lower transfer and self impedance.
Also, a material with lower Dk in the stack-up makes sure that the signal is well supported in the interior and surface layers of a sufficiently encased stripline.
The ro3210 also delivers a unique opportunity for fabricating antennas having reduced element area. You can make use of an easy plasma process in navigating through the costs involved in preparing through-holes that are plated.
With a high dielectric constant material like the roger ro3210, the dimension of your circuit can be reduced at a specific frequency. This material can also reduce electromagnetic waves’ phase velocity. They also function using smaller circuits and shorter wavelengths. Miniaturization comes with these benefits:
- Better Coupling
- Reduced radiation losses
- Slow-wave signal propagation/enhancement
- Higher-order modes reduced
- Reduction in circuit size
- Delays possible fluctuations between different components of PCB significantly
- Lesser transfer impedance
Is it Possible to Construct a PCB with Multilayer Using RO 3210?
It is possible. The rogers ro3210 laminate is a great material for multilayer PCB fabrication. It features an in-plane expansion with a low coefficient, which makes it great for constructing an epoxy hybrid multi-layer PCB design.
Majorly, the electrical performance and mechanical characteristics of the rogers RO3210 material are stable, which is great for other laminates of the RO 3200 series.
The mechanical properties consistency also makes it possible to utilize materials having different dielectric constant on individual layers without going through incompatibility or warpage issues.
It can be used along with other less expensive materials to reduce the cost of production.
What Features of the Rogers RO3210 Laminate makes them Appropriate for High-Frequency Application?
Ro3210 laminates can be used for high-frequency radio frequency and commercial microwave applications. The suitability of this laminate in high-frequency applications can be seen in the features below:
- It has a high Dielectric constant value of 10.2
- The coefficient of thermal expansion is low
- Has the V-0 rating for the UL flammability test and works fine with processing techniques that are lead-free.
- The dissipation factor is low at 0.0027
- Suitable for use in applications running above 40 GHz
- The dimensional stability is great
What Must You Consider Before Making Use of the RO 3210 Laminate?
The following should be considered when choosing this laminate for any PCB project:
- The thickness and size of the panel
- Copper-clad size and type used
- Installation space size
- Impedance control
- Turnaround time
- Equipment and manufacturability capability
- Compatibility with the requirements of your application
- Compatibility of the component
The Rogers ro3210 laminate can deliver outstanding dimensional stability, thereby ensuring a high yield in production. It is great for multilayer hybrid designs and provides surface smoothness for a much better line etching tolerance.