The article introduces a simple design principle of removing PCBA break away tab. This design can quickly and reliably cut PCB boards of various sizes and pre-engraved with V-grooves. Hope it can help engineering designers.
The development background
PCBA refers to PCB that have been assembled with components and are widely used in various fields such as aviation, numerical control, computers, and automation instruments.
Due to manufacturing and logistics requirements, the edge of the PCBA board needs to be reserved, which is not required for the product side. Therefore, the PCBA break away tab needs to be removed after the components are assembled.
The method of removing the PCBA break away tab can be divided into three categories: V-cut depanelizer, milling depanelizer, and manually.
- The milling depanelizer has the best function, which overcomes the limitation that the V-cut can only be linearly divided. The high-speed operation of the milling cutter is used to separate the multiple-connected PCBA according to the pre-programmed path, which improve product quality and reduce scrap rate. The disadvantage is that it is very expensive and cumbersome to operate (programming required).
- The price of the V-cut depanelizer is much cheaper. It is cut along the PCBA V-groove by the blade, but it can only be cut straight, and the cost of the blade is expensive.
3. Manually removing the break away tab is by hand or needle-nosed pliers and other tools for segmentation, with low cost and easy to use, but it is also easy to damage components.
For small batches, multiple varieties and low cost manufacturing requirements, manually removing break away tab is most practical. But for big batches PCBA orders, how could we remove the PCBA break away tab? In order to solve these problems, we have developed a simple tool for manual removal of the PCBA break away tab.
The tooling achieves the purpose of removing the break away tab through a simple mechanical structure, with low cost, which can meet the requirements of adapting to different sizes and thicknesses of the process side.
he tooling adopts the following technical solution: an adjustable auxiliary device for manually removing the PCBA break away tab side, including a mounting base plate, a slider base, a movable slider, an adjustment button, and a transmission structure.
The movable slider is driven to move along the set track on the base of the slider by manually adjusting the adjustment button. After a suitable distance, the process edge to be removed from the PCBA board is placed in the card slot of the device, and finally the PCBA board is held by both hands. The function of manually removing the edge of the process can be realized by gently applying force in one direction below. Please refer to he specific working principle as below picture.
It should be noted that the hands should not be gripped on the top of the PCBA, which is the most labor-saving from the perspective of the principle of the lever, but the stress is also the largest, which is easy to damage the PCBA.
As a preferred embodiment, the mounting bottom plate of the tooling may be a workbench, or other forms of work surface, not limited to the form of the bottom plate; the slider base and the movable sliding block may be a linear bayonet dovetail groove or other The movement fit and the structural form are not limited to various types of movable fits and structural forms; the adjustment buttons may be manual rotation adjustments or other forms of adjustment buttons, not limited to the form of adjustment buttons; the transmission structure may be a cone Gear transmissions or other forms of transmission structure are not limited to the structural form of the transmission.
Compared with the prior art, the tooling has the following advantages:
(1) Low production costs;
(2) Simple operation;
(3) The quality of the process edge is good, and the components on the PCBA board are under stress;
(4) It has a wide application range and can adapt to PCBA boards with different thicknesses and board margins;
(5) The structure is flexible and convenient, and the PCBA board can be manually adjusted to adapt to various thickness and size process sides.
The application of the new manual removal of the PCBA break away tab side auxiliary device not only takes into account the stress control requirements of the PCBA when removing the process side, but also takes into account the cost control of the production. In this way, the tooling can replace the high-cost special equipment, so it is an auxiliary device that is practical, flexible, and can reduce the overall cost, and can be widely used.