An extensive range of finished PCB thicknesses can be accomplished with the combination of different core thicknesses and sheets of prepreg. However, the variety of laminate thickness options offered to our customers are range from 0.008 inches to 0.240 inches and they include 0.2 mm (0.0079 inch), 0.4 mm (0.016 inch), 0.5 mm (0.020 inch), 0.6 mm (0.024 inch), 0.8 mm (0.032 inch), 1.0 mm (0.04 inch), 1.2 mm (0.047 inch), 1.5 mm (0.062 inch), 1.6 mm (0.063 inch), 2.0 mm (0.079 inch), 2.3 mm (0.091 inch), etc.
The board thickness is the thickness given in mm of the base material measured including copper foil on top and bottom. So the board thickness does not represent the final thickness of the PCB as for that we need to add plating, solder mask, etc,if you need 0.4mm final thickness , then we will use 0.3mm raw material to manufacture your PCB board .
Rayming PCB Thickness range :
1.0mm PCB 1.2mm PCB 1.5mm PCB 1.6 mm PCB
2.0mm PCB 2.4mm PCB 3.0mm PCB 3.2mm PCB
3.6mm PCB 4.8mm PCB 5.6mm PCB
As electronics devices continue getting smaller and more compact, demand is rising for thinner PCBs using 0.4mm laminates. However, producing reliable, high density multilayer boards at 0.4mm thickness poses significant fabrication challenges. Partnering with an experienced PCB manufacturer having expertise in 0.4mm PCB manufacturing is key to ensuring optimal quality and performance.
This article provides electronics engineers an overview of 0.4mm PCB capabilities, manufacturing process requirements, quality benchmarks, and the benefits of selecting a premier 0.4mm PCB supplier.
What is a 0.4mm Thickness PCB?
Standard PCB dielectric thicknesses range from 0.8mm to 1.6mm generally. With rising miniaturization needs, high density interconnect (HDI) PCBs emerged using thinner 0.3mm-0.4mm dielectrics in the last decades enabling greater compactness. Some common thin core thicknesses are:
- 1.6mm – Standard thickness
- 1.0mm – Common thinner material
- 0.8mm – Typical thin PCB thickness
- 0.4mm – Ultra-thin laminate
So a 0.4mm thickness PCB uses 0.4mm thin dielectric core and prepreg materials to construct a multilayer board. This thinner structure provides reduced weight and maximum integration density in space-constrained electronic devices and packages.
Benefits of 0.4mm Thickness PCBs
Key advantages of 0.4mm PCBs versus standard 0.8mm-1.0mm boards include:
- Thinner profile – Allows tighter vertical stacking and electronics packaging.
- Lighter weight – Significant weight reduction for portable devices.
- High density – Thinner dielectrics permit greater routing density.
- Small vias – Thinner boards can use smaller microvias.
- Low z-axis CTE – Mitigates via barrel crack issues.
- Fine lines – Enables finer line width/space geometries.
- High layer count – Permits more layers within a given thickness.
- Flexibility – Easier to produce semi-flex constructions.
- Buried passives – Allows integration of thin film capacitors/resistors.
0.4mm PCBs enable maximum density and integration where thickness is constrained.
Challenges in 0.4mm PCB Fabrication
Fabricating 0.4mm multilayer PCBs poses substantial production difficulties including:
- Filler starvation – Ensuring adequate resin fill of thin cores during lamination.
- Layer registration – Tolerance control across multiple thin laminates.
- Plating adhesion – Copper to dielectric bond strength on low filler cores.
- Hole wall quality – Resin smear and fill control of drilled holes.
- Surface finish – Uniform plating thickness on flexed thin panels.
- Fine line etching – Achieving 2 mil line width and space on 0.4mm cores.
- Via reliability – Avoiding cracks due to drilling and z-axis CTE stresses.
- Lamination bonding – Achieving high bond strength between thin layers.
- Handling – Preventing damage like dents, scratches and pits on thin cores.
- Stiffness – Maintaining adequate panel stability when handling thin boards.
These factors require advanced process capabilities and controls to reliably produce 0.4mm PCBs.
Key 0.4mm PCB Manufacturing Capabilities
To reliably fabricate 0.4mm multilayer PCBs, manufacturers must demonstrate several critical capabilities:
- Registration accuracy – Within 0.075mm between layers.
- Plating adhesion – Copper pad peel strength over 6N on 0.4mm cores.
- Lamination – Precise pressure control and resin fill optimization.
- Hole wall quality – Minimal resin smear inside drilled holes.
- Surface finish – Highly uniform electrolytic plating across thin flexing panels.
- Fine line etching – 0.15mm lines and spaces.
- Via reliability – Thermal shock and drop/shock testing of microvias.
- Interlayer bonding – Lamination peel strengths above 5N/mm.
- Handling processes – Automation and special carriers to prevent damage.
- Stiffness – Ability to hold panel flatness tolerances.
- Reliability testing – Extensive HAST, thermal cycling and humidity/bias testing.
Meeting these benchmarks validates a company’s capabilities in high quality 0.4mm PCB manufacturing.
Benefits of Partnering with a Premier Manufacturer
Selecting a well-established PCB company with proven expertise in 0.4mm boards provides key advantages:
- Mitigate Technology Risk – Avoid initial issues during 0.4mm adoption through robust qualified processes.
- Accelerate Time-to-Market – Get cutting-edge products to market faster through rapid prototyping and scaling.
- Increase Performance Margins – Achieve maximum routing density and electrical performance.
- Ensure Long-Term Reliability – Mature process and quality systems deliver reliable 0.4mm boards.
- Control Costs – Leverage accumulated 0.4mm manufacturing learnings and economies of scale.
- Simplify Logistics – Single expert source for prototypes through volume production.
- Strategic Alignment – Collaborate on design innovations and technology roadmap.
For companies looking to utilize 0.4mm PCBs, the right manufacturing partner provides immense strategic value in capabilities, time-to-market, performance and costs.
As electronics devices continue getting smaller and thinner, reliably producing 0.4mm multilayer boards becomes critical but also highly challenging. Partnering with an elite PCB company that has matured 0.4mm technology provides a low risk accelerated path to adopting this essential thinner PCB technology successfully.